Friday, January 6, 2012

The Beginning of Everything Once Again

I'm not a fan of resolutions. They are weak, flabby, pathetic creatures that do little to improve my year. They have failed me many many times now. I no longer make them.

I make goals. I write them down on paper and put them somewhere to needle me when I am tempted to give up. On the bedroom door, in the corner of the mirror, in a notebook, on my blog. I also make a plan of action, smaller goals that can be met one at a time until the overall goal is done.

Goals with plans are strong enough to push me to be better.

I fulfilled 2 out of 3 of last year's goals.

One of those was to finish my book. Not only did I finish my book, but I finished the little zombie guide too and published them both.

Another was to start a refinishing business. I did. It faltered and failed, but the experience was worthwhile and I do not regret it in the least.

The third was to get back in shape. I did not succeed, but I did manage to loose some weight and bring my cholesterol down from holy-crap-your-heart-may-explode to a much healthier slightly-high-but-okay.

So, what are my goals this year?

1- Finish writing book two, publish it, and begin another book.
        
The Plan: Write for at least one hour every night during the week. I've told my wife she needs to pretend I'm not home for that hour or more if I'm on a roll. I'll also be trying out some techniques for keeping myself excited to sit down and hammer out scenes that should help improve my writing as well.

2- Get in shape for real this time.

The Plan: Quit soda, cook at home, and do something active three times a week. We went on an eleven mile hike the other day and nearly died. That will change. We'll start with a juice fast for a couple days to clean all the junk out and go from there. I've already thrown out all the leftover Christmas candy and today I'll clean out the fridge.

That's it. I'm not adding a third this time, since I only succeeded with two last year. Wish me luck and I will do the same for all your new goals, plans, and resolutions.

Also, as a present to my readers and the world, I'm going to write a blog series on How to Self Publish that walks through the formatting process. I hope people are interested.

12 comments:

DB Stewart said...

I believe you can do this.

Andrew Leon said...

Yes, quit soda. Sugar all together would be even better, but quitting soda is a big deal. I grew up on soda, and I did it.

Michael Offutt, Phantom Reader said...

Maybe you can email me some motivation so that I too can get in shape. I'd appreciate that. You'd be my most favorite Charlie Pulsipher in all the world.

Brandon T. Minster said...

I'm looking forward to your "how to self-publish" guide!

J Hummel said...

Chuck I am just about finished with you book. I like it and look forward to book 2. The two big questions I have are will there be a sequeal to the zombie guide? When are you going to sign my book.

Jared

Candice said...

Ah, New Year's resolutions. The bane of my existence. I think I may have to join your "no soda" campaign, though. My Coca Cola habit has REALLY gotten out of control since I started school. Sigh...sweet, sweet Coca Cola...*Cough, Cough*...Sorry. I'm fine, really...

Good luck with your next book! :)

Brent Wescott said...

I'd better join you in your reshaping. I think I gained thirty pounds between Thanksgiving and New Years.

But I'm not giving up my Diet Code Red.

Martin Willoughby said...

Good luck with the goals. Ones relating to health are always the hardest to keep as there are so many distractions and temptations.

vic caswell said...

you'll do great!

Charlie Pulsipher said...

@dbs- Thanks. I think so too.

@Andrew- Day five now and everything hurts, but I'll make it through.

@Michael- Will do.

@The Man- Me too. I hope you like it and get a lot out of it.

@Jared- I have a zombie book planned, a collaboration with Adam. It isn't a sequel, but should be pretty awesome. I'll also sign your book whenever you make it to St George.

@Candice- Yes. I feel the same way about Dr Pepper. It can't be healthy. Thank you.

@Brent- Good luck. I gained a ton of weight when I switched to Diet Dr Pepper.

@Martin- So true, but this is the year, I'm sure of it!

@Vic- Thank you. I'm sure I will.

Brent Wescott said...

Plus, you can start your year off right with the Zombie Rabbit Award. Come over to my blog to see what that means. I know. I know. You love it. You're welcome.

Charlie Pulsipher said...

Thanks, Brent! That's a cool award.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...