Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Never gobble at a turkey!

I went on a little road trip with one of my older sisters when I was a teenager. I don't remember exactly what the trip was about. I think it was Christmas and my sister didn't want to travel alone. What I do remember is we stopped at a little house in the middle of nowhere. Next to the middle of nowhere sat a turkey farm.
Turkey farms tend to loose turkeys sometime so it is normal to see one wandering around anytime you happen to be close to a turkey farm. My sister and I were walking out to the car when I spotted one.
Needless to say I was excited to see the turkey. I'd never seen a turkey up close before...at least not without involving mashed potatoes and gravy. Forget about stuffing.

No, I don't eat stuffing. I have enough issues with wet bread. Must be some childhood trauma. The bread puffing as it absorbs water like a sponge, except it isn't a sponge and doesn't hold its shape, squishing to paste when you touch it.

Why would you put that in your mouth? What is wrong with you people? Eeeeeeeeww!! Let's not even get into the depths of wrongitude once you decide to stick this crime against nature into the innards of a massive bird. Just not right.

Anyhow, where was I? Oh yeah. Turkey up close. I got excited. You know, when it tickles deep down in your stomach and then ripples out in waves. I jumped up and down and waved at the turkey and then I started to gobble.

Something you should know about me is I make animal noises. Not the usual "a cow says moo, a dog says woof" noises. I confuse dogs when I bark. I have made a goat's tail wag with my goat impression. I have scared the snot out of many a person with my velociraptor (you have to see it to truly understand). When I gobbled, it was pretty close to a real turkey.

The face I make in order to do the gobble justice is a little embarrassing, but it is the only way to make the sound right.

Problem is I don't really speak turkey. So I tried very hard to be happy and nice and say something along the lines of this:

Now, I don't know if I got the words wrong or if, since it was Christmas, the turkey was extra sensitive, but the stupid bird reacted as though I had said something more along the lines of this:

The turkey had been casually strolling along the side of the road, but as soon as I started gobbling it turned to look at me and a transformation took place. The cute little turkey I had initially seen...

Turned into a monstrous turkey demon. It stood up tall and I swear it was almost as tall as I was. My gobbling ceased abruptly as the nightmare stomped its way toward us, gobbling like no turkey has ever gobbled before. The sound still haunts me.

My sister started yelling, "What did you do?! Get in the car! Go! Oh crap! Get in the car!"

It was like something from a horror movie. The handle slippery and sticking in the cold air, my hand shaking. Time slowed down and you could hear the gobble deepen and stretch out like when lovers run towards each other in movies, except this was no romantic comedy. Death spoke to us in that gobble.

Finally I pried the door open and we both got in, but the beast kept coming. My sister got the car running and we sped away, kicking up snow and leaving the red eyes of the grim reaper behind. I still gobble and I still gobble at turkeys, but only if they are more than 30 yards away.

9 comments:

Johnny Utah said...

Maybe you we're spreading anti-health care propaganda with your turkey speak and that particular turkey happened to be a staunch Obama supporter.

Anonymous said...

your drawings have a south park-ish feel to them, meaning they're awesome!

Mindy said...

You are silly, and I can totally imagine you telling this story, going off on your rant about stuffing and all. I would like you to include a video presentation with gobble face, gobble noise, and of course your insane velociraptor impression.
It's great Charlie, and your childhood stories are a bit disturbing.

Nancy said...

I took my kids on a farm tour once and was excited to see that one particular farm had turkeys. Like you, I was excited to see a real life turkey up close. As soon as we approached the fence (yes, luckily ours were fenced in) all 40 turkeys gobbled at full volume. The kids were terrified. I was a bit terrified. I'm not looking forward to meeting a turkey again.

On a side note, I'm enjoying the drawings you've added to spice up the blog.

And tell Jazzy she needs to be blogging too!

Charlie Pulsipher said...

40 turkeys gobbling is truly one of the most horrifying things I can think of. I'll tell Jazzy to get cracking. Thanks.

Mama2TheKid said...

I don't remember the last time I laughed till I cried - thank you! That was hilarious, and I could picture the entire thing. Without ever having met you, I know exactly why Jazzy married you - you two are perfect for each other! You must make each other crack up constantly... =)

Charlie Pulsipher said...

Thanks Sarah. I'm glad I could make you laugh. Jazzy and I make each other laugh often...when I am not scaring her or annoying her. I think the laughter makes up for the other things Ü

Anonymous said...

Cute. And speaking of wet bread, imagine what it does to your colon. Think glue.

Love the turkey demon so much I borrowed it with a link. Lemme know if you don't approve. I agree with your friend - South Park'ish.

Charlie Pulsipher said...

Eeeeewwww turkey butt glue! Share away, Kiki. That sounds good to me and thank you so much for liking my silly drawing.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...